Monday, April 13, 2015

Traveling the World with Youtube


As long as I can remember, I've been fascinated by other cultures, people, and places. When I was little I told my parents I wanted to live in China, and then it was Ireland, then Argentina, and so on. The truth is that I don’t want to settle in any of those places, but rather soak them in and try to understand them. I want to see, smell, taste, study cultures until I've been steeped in them. Culture deserves time and appreciation. It’s not meant to be taken at the pace of a person going through a revolving door. Flashes of people and things aren't enough to satisfy any more than a few snacks in a day constitutes three meals. What does the earth in India feel like? How does it taste to buy food from a fresh market in France?

Unfortunately not all of us are blessed with the opportunity to travel the way we want to. Whatever capacity I end up in, it will always be a mobile one. I cannot sit still, and nothing makes me happier than being on the move. But while I wait, I've found a way to feed my desire to travel. Youtube.


Below I've listed some of the best YouTube channels and videos to help keep you happy until you load up and hit the road. 

Jacksgap

This quirky travel/lifestyle channel has a positivity and charm to it that has kept me watching over the last few years. Jack, and sometimes his identical twin brother, Finn, record their adventures. From the Rickshaw Run in India to spending twenty-four hours in New Orleans, it's a fascinating channel with some pretty profound things to say.


FunForLouis 

Far and above my favorite Youtuber, Louis Cole's zany adventures are recorded and uploaded every day for your viewing pleasure. If you like casual awesomeness, it's the perfect channel for you. Peace out, enjoy life, and live the adventure. 


Mr Ben Brown

Athlete turned vlogger, Ben Brown, uploads a daily video packed full of fantastic visuals. I think he's also currently based in South Africa right now, so his videos have been pretty epic lately. He's also friends with both Jack and Louis, so you'll see them on his channel occasionally. 


Nicole Eddy (Blog)

South African blogger Nicole Eddy runs one of my favorite blogs, for those who would rather read than check out a video. She's just plain brilliant at writing. Highly recommend.  





No comments:

Post a Comment